WEDI empowers economically disadvantaged people in Buffalo, with a primary focus on the West Side community.
- Economic Development: Low-income individuals and families attain sustainable incomes through business creation and expansion. WEDI has supported the establishment of over 100 and expansion of over 30 companies, often through the disbursal of over 60 loans from its growing $650,000 fund. This lending activity has performed well, with a 1.9% average monthly 30-day delinquency rate in 2016, no 2015/16 charge-offs, and a 0.40% cumulative charge-off rate.
- Community Development: Entrepreneurs create focused, market-driven, and sustainable destinations that bring people together to create strong, diverse neighborhoods. WEDI hosts up to 21 businesses in its retail and commercial kitchen space, the West Side Bazaar, and has successfully graduated over 25 small-business owners who grew shops at this incubator.
- Education: English language learners acquire comprehension and fluency to attain parity with native English-speaking peers, which in turn promotes high graduation rates, family health, and a strong community. The ENERGY Literacy for Children and FLY after-school programs serve 64 English language learners from Buffalo’s West Side who are in grades 1-6 and 7-8, respectively. ENERGY focuses on improving the students’ abilities to read, write, and speak English. With an average ratio of one volunteer mentor per student, the program provides specialized reading and homework support. In the 2015-2016 school year, 71.43% of students improved by over one year of grade-level reading during the 7-month program, as evidenced by reading assessments. FLY implements project-based learning that has helped to increase grade-point averages for over 80% of its students. Attendance in the programs average over 95%, and the total demand is very high, summing to hundreds of students.
Primary Purpose and Function
- Plan, implement, and oversee fundraising and donor relations strategy and activities, increasing WEDI’s capacity to raise between $1-3 million per year depending on organizational needs
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain WEDI’s fundraising plan, including projected receipts from sources, including individuals, corporations, foundations, governmental entities, earned revenue, and events
- Coordinate fundraising campaigns and annual appeal with a return-on-investment of at least 500%
- Identifying at least 50 new funding sources/year
- Write at least 30 grants/year
- Use WEDI's data and donor management systems to maintain donor prospects and cultivation, increasing the number of donor relationships by at least 20% year-over-year
- Develop and adhere to the fund development budget that limits overall WEDI administration and fundraising to less than 15% of the total organizational expenses
Possible Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide marketing, advertising, and promotional coordination and support for programs to ensure seamless messaging to the public and all stakeholders
- Support the Executive Director as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably with an emphasis on business administration, management, or marketing and communication
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of successful fundraising and development experience
- Must have excellent critical thinking, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Proven strong and broad oral and written communication skills that meet the needs of all of WEDI’s programs
- Must be passionate about empowerment programming that serves low-income communities with diverse experiences
- Master’s degree or equivalent, preferably with an emphasis on business administration, management, or marketing and communications
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
- Significant knowledge of and experience in the Western New York and/or national philanthropic communities
- Ability to attract the interest of new funders
- Experience working in a non-profit, mission-driven organization
- Ability to complete tasks quickly and on schedule
- Ability to manage the schedule and data of multiple projects with rigorous deadlines
- Competent and efficient in Google applications, MS Office, and internet applications, including database systems for data tracking
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- High accuracy in work and attention to detail
Salary or hourly pay will be commensurate with education and experience. WEDI includes health insurance with a full-time position.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.