OFN is committed to helping CDFIs and their partners expand their coverage so that all communities have access to the types of affordable, responsible financial products and services they need.
An important piece of this work is development of OFN’s CDFI Coverage Map. This map helps measure CDFI coverage—where CDFIs are located, where they provide financing and other services, which financing sectors they serve, and how these change over time. The CDFI Coverage Map is built on the PolicyMap platform created by Reinvestment Fund, an OFN member CDFI. This valuable information can inform:
- CDFI industry expansion strategies;
- Policy interventions based on market need and capacity; and
- Lenders and investors seeking to maximize their resources.
On the CDFI Coverage Map, you can:
- View both individual loans and aggregated loan data on CDFI lending since 2010 – as of January 2018, the map includes data from 217 certified CDFIs;
- Add data layers such as race and ethnicity, income, and unemployment to see how these overlap with CDFI lending;
- View project-level data such as financing sector, loan amount range, and certified CDFI locations; and
- Zoom in on specific counties, ZIP codes, Congressional districts, and even census tracts and block groups.
Our user guide will have you up and mapping in no time. We recommend using the CDFI Coverage Map in Firefox or Chrome.
If you are a CDFI, we invite you to get on the map! Either send us your most recent CDFI Fund Transaction Level Report (TLR) or fill out this template and send it to Lance Loethen at firstname.lastname@example.org. With more CDFI participation, the map will better reflect CDFI coverage across the country.
In addition to the CDFI Coverage Map, OFN has developed data visualization tools using the CDFI Fund’s publicly available TLR database, with more to come in 2019.