Boston Community Capital (BCC) has invested over $1 billion dollars in projects that provide affordable housing, good jobs, and new opportunities in low-income communities, and is a fully self-sustaining, private nonprofit organization. To date, BCC has financed over 20,000 affordable homes, over 2 million square feet of inner-city commercial real estate, child care facilities, schools and youth programs serving nearly 30,000 children, businesses creating over 4,000 jobs, solar panels generating over 26 million kilowatt hours of solar electricity (the equivalent of cutting car travel by over 38 million miles), and $130 million in residential mortgages to stabilize over 800 families and individuals facing foreclosure.
BCC’s groundbreaking work has been featured in The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, The Nation, US News and World Report, The Huffington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Economist, and The Christian Science Monitor, and on NPR’s All Things Considered, PBS NewsHour, CBS Evening News, MSNBC’s All In with Chris Hayes, and Fox News.
Although BCC operates nationally, the organization’s headquarters is located in the Dudley Square neighborhood of Boston. To learn more about BCC, visit www.bostoncommunitycapital.org.
Boston Community Capital (BCC) seeks a highly motivated, flexible, and organized Development & Communications Manager to play a key role in a nationally-recognized, innovative and growing nonprofit organization. The Development & Communications Manager, a skilled communicator with drive, creativity and a commitment to excellence, will work closely with senior management and staff across the organization to advance BCC’s strategic communications work and capitalization efforts, building and strengthening relationships with new and existing partners who share our commitment to building healthy communities where low-income people live and work. Together with the Development & Communications team, s/he will coordinate media and public relations, social media, online outreach and public policy work. S/he will work in a dynamic, progressive team environment, leveraging internal and external resources to promote the creative use of capital market tools to create wealth, opportunity and lasting change in underserved communities.
The Development & Communications Manager works closely with senior leadership to develop and implement communications strategies to advance BCC’s mission and impact. S/he helps manage relationships with new and existing investors and donors, coordinating investor/donor on-boarding and documentation, including management of Salesforce database and investor resource center, loan renewals, interest payments, donation acknowledgement and investor reporting; organizing meetings and events to introduce potential clients, partners, donors and investors to our work; and providing administrative support as needed to support the organization’s overall external relations goals. S/he coordinates ongoing communications activities and the production of marketing materials that promote and enhance our work, including but not limited to annual reports and other print publications; website, social media and other online communications; and customer and partner outreach for the SUN Initiative and other business units. S/he serves as a key link between the CEO, senior management, staff and our diverse external constituent base, including investors, donors, borrowers, board members, policy makers, peer organizations and community partners.
- Build and manage new and existing investor and donor relationships (25%), including prospective investor education, management of advisor relationships, loan documentation, reporting, renewals and repayments. Oversee and maintain Salesforce database and Investor Resource Center, ensuring investor and donor information is accurate and up-to-date; facilitate timely and accurate communication of information between external supporters and finance, compliance and BCC’s business units. Assist in the preparation of grant and loan applications, including federal, foundation, financial institution and individual sources of capital.
- Develop, produce and maintain marketing materials (25%), including but not limited to website, annual report, e-newsletters, social media, program-specific collateral materials and presentations. Provide project management to support development and production process, coordinating senior management, staff, external consultants and outside vendors. Produce, edit, distribute and maintain content; respond to partner requests for borrower stories, photos, logos, bios, etc.
- Support media outreach, new business development and policy advocacy activities (15%), building a database of borrower story banks, data and materials to support outreach efforts. Track outreach activities and results, maintaining Salesforce database of contacts, articles, stories and results (web traffic reports, new referrals, etc.). Distribute to staff, board and external constituencies as appropriate.
- Coordinate and support meetings and events that showcase BCC’s programs, partners, impact and accomplishments (10%), including site visits, speaking engagements and outreach events. Ensure that management and staff have the tools they need to communicate effectively, respond to external requests, and oversee logistical support to ensure events run smoothly.
- Provide administrative support that bolsters relationships with external constituencies (10%), including prospective and existing clients, borrowers, investors and donors, maintaining BCC’s commitment to high-quality, client-focused business practices.
- Support BCC’s Board of Directors (5%), coordinating quarterly Board Meetings and overseeing production of Board reporting package.
- General Support (10%), including active participation in internal and external meetings, including Loan Fund and SUN staff meetings and external meetings; representing BCC on working groups and in public meetings as appropriate, and other duties as assignment.
Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years’ experience in communications, business development, fundraising, investor/donor relations, marketing, or related field. The ability to take information, transform it into exciting, accurate and useful messages that resonate with our core audiences, and to disseminate this information to those audiences via the right channels is critical. Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) required; experience with Salesforce and related tools preferred; experience with InDesign, Publisher, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
The successful candidate will bring many if not all of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills remarkable for their clarity, accuracy and persuasiveness
- A clear and creative thinker with exceptional judgment, strong organizational and project management skills, a strong customer focus and a commitment to results
- Ability to recognize and maximize opportunity on behalf of the organization
- Flexibility and a demonstrated ability to flourish in a nimble and entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated commitment to social, economic and political justice, consistent with the mission and goals of Boston Community Capital
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience within the guidelines of Boston Community Capital’s scale. The position comes with excellent benefits including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, as well as generous vacation and employer contributions to a retirement account.
How to Apply:
The position is open until filled. Please apply at: https://bostoncommunitycapital.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0m47f. Include cover letter and resume to the attention of Andrew Koh, Director of Operations.
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Boston Community Capital cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested.
Boston Community Capital is an equal opportunity employer. Boston Community Capital is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.