IFF improves the world by strengthening nonprofits and the communities they serve. As a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer, IFF helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and persons with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and grocery stores. Staff contributes its extensive business experience with an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF and the nonprofit clients it serves.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work it does and can demonstrate their creativity, detail-orientation, diligence, efficiency, enthusiasm, flexibility, organization, thoughtfulness, and sense of humor.
Our staff of about 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI.
Basic Job Function
The Market Maker will be responsible for accelerating the flow of capital between new and existing investors and nonprofits in IFF’s full service markets. The position will be located in Chicago, but will include additional geographic coverage of IFF’s Full Service Markets, which as of now includes Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI and St. Louis and Kansas City, MO. The Market Maker will sit between the supply and demand of capital to make markets more efficient by connecting stakeholders in the marketplace to the pipeline of projects cultivated by IFF.
The individual will cultivate a network of investors across the capital continuum, understand their requirements, structure funds as necessary to optimally utilize that capital, and leverage IFF’s knowledge and skillsets to make projects happen. The Market Maker will also early on develop a plan to develop the capacity to syndicate loans as a new, fee-based service offering. The Market Maker will report to the President Core Business Solutions and will work closely with the Senior Vice President Capital Solutions, the Chief Financial Officer, the President of the Social Impact Accelerator, the Executive Directors based in Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis, and the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships & Resource Development. This is a new position for IFF and requires flexibility and adaptability as we learn more about how to best evolve this role.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with IFF colleagues to develop a pipeline of supply and demand of capital to advance complex nonprofit projects.
-Supply. Working in coordination with the VP Strategic Partnerships, Executive Directors and the President Social Impact Accelerator, develop relationships with key foundations and impact
investors to both ascertain their investing preferences (by geography, sector, and financing vehicle) and raise impact investments for IFF.
-Demand. Working with the SVP Capital Solutions, SVP Real Estate Solutions, Executive Directors and President Social Impact Accelerator, curate a pipeline of projects that require financing
aligned with the above supply of impact investing possibilities.
2. Lead IFF’s effort to create an off-balance sheet Community Facilities Fund (CFF), working closely with the President Social Impact Accelerator and CFO. Engage third party legal counsel and audit expertise to most effectively create a CFF which would raise direct equity and debt investments from IFF stakeholders. Work with Marketing Manager to create collateral material and with Communications to broadcast opportunities for impact investing into the CFF.
3. Develop a strategy and tactical plan to create a fee-based loan syndication offering for IFF. The plan would need to include specific guidance to IFF’s lenders about how to identify opportunities to offer this service, and how IFF would build the internal capacity to standardize an underwriting and structuring approach to these financing transactions.
4. Serve as the IFF “expert” on Opportunity Zones and work with the CFO, President Social Impact Accelerator and SVP Capital Solutions to best determine and refine IFF’s strategy for deploying these funds into IFF development projects and/or the establishment of an IFF Opportunity Zone Fund.
5. Other duties as assigned.
1. Creation of a Community Facilities Fund that meets IFF’s objectives (year1). On an on-going basis, the growth of the CFF to support transformative nonprofit facilities projects leveraging multiple strands of impact investor equity and debt.
2. The development of an approved strategic and operational plan to introduce loan syndication services.
3. Leadership in building IFF’s role as Market Maker, including diversification of IFF’s investor base and raising agreed upon levels of impact investments.
4. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
5. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
6. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members.
7. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
8. High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts.
Education: Master’s Degree in business, management, community development, or a related field.
Experience:Ten years of experience with increasingly responsible management and financial roles and a comprehensive working knowledge in community development finance, human services, real estate development or a related field.
1. Experience with federal and other government funding programs required.
2. Experience with investors and investment products required.
3. Experience with financial packaging and structuring preferred (e.g., New Markets Tax Credits).
4. Demonstrated leadership and management skills and a track record of career growth and success.
5. Excellent written and oral communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
6. Ability to recognize and communicate strategic opportunities.
Unusual Requirements: Regular travel throughout the assigned region and periodic travel nationally. Occasional evening and weekend work.
Compensation package will be addressed at time of phone screening
How to Apply:
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Market Maker” in the subject line of the email.