OFN New Publications
Opportunity Finance Network’s most recent publications highlight innovations in small business lending and an exciting new consumer finance product. In addition, we showcase research related to reducing income inequality through quality jobs. Finally, we summarize our series of financial reporting best practices which benefit both CDFIs and bank investors.
Small Business Underwriting Innovations
In this white paper, innovative underwriting approaches and revamped processes from three CDFIs are documented. These case studies show practical approaches for overcoming insufficient owner equity, dramatically simplifying and accelerating underwriting, and expanding the credit box without compromising asset quality. This paper is the first in a series of publications made possible through the Wells Fargo Diverse Community Capital program. For more on this program: http://ofn.org/wells-fargo-dcc.
Employer Based Loan Products as a New Benefit
This white paper documents the employer-based loan products offered by nine CDFIs. Loans offered to employees through their employer in partnership with CDFIs are a powerful new consumer finance product. These “life-event” loans allow employers to offer a new benefit to employees and provide individuals with a simple and affordable alternative to predatory and pay-day loan alternatives. This paper was made possible with generous support from Prudential. For more on this program: http://ofn.org/consumer-finance
Reducing Income Inequality through Quality Jobs
In this publication, five CDFIs who are on the cutting edge of quality job promotion and five of their borrowers provide an understanding of the practical approaches and tools CDFIs and other financial institutions can use to promote quality job creation.
Performance Counts is a collaborative effort to develop CDFI industry standards and best practices around financial statements and financial management which benefit both CDFIs and the banks that invest in CDFIs. Three separate publications are currently available covering these key topics:
- Presentation and Classification of Grants and Net Assets in CDFI Financial Statements;
- CDFI Portfolio Reporting: Definitions, Accounting Treatment, and Reporting Guidance; and,
- CDFI Liquidity and Cash Management: Definitions, Practices, and Examples.
For more information: http://www.ofn.org/performance-counts.
- CDFI Liquidity and Cash Management: Definitions, Practices, and Examples
- CDFI Portfolio Reporting: Definitions, Accounting Treatment, and Reporting Guidance
- Expanding Employer-Based Small Dollar Loan Programs and the CDFI Industry: Learnings from the Knowledge Network
- Innovations in Underwriting
- Presentation and Classification of Grants and Net Assets on CDFI Financial Statements
- Reducing Income Inequality: How CDFIs Promote Job Quality